BRAGADAYJAH 139

Thursday, January 28, 2016

BRAGADAYJAH 859


BRAGADAYJAH 859
The Lord Rebukes Samuel

As this next episode in the saga between Samuel and Saul shows, e as humans, can sometimes overdo the mourning, especially with regard to whom we are mourning for. “For the Lord said to Samuel, “How long are you going to continue mourning for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and go; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided me a king from among his sons.” And Samuel said, how can I go? If Saul hears of it he will surely kill me. And the Lord told Samuel to take a heifer with him and say, I have come to sacrifice to the Lord. Call Jesse to the sacrifice and I will show you what you shall do. And you shall anoint unto me he that I will show you.” And Samuel as the Lord had commanded him, went to Bethlehem; and the elders trembled at his coming, and asked whether he came in peace; and he assured them that he had come to sacrifice unto the Lord.  Therefore he bade them to sanctify themselves and join him in the sacrifice; and he sanctified Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice.  Samuel was mourning for Saul, not that Saul was dead; but that the kingship had been taken away from him.  The Lord in fact told Samuel that he should not be wasting time mourning over Saul.  It was the Lord who had taken the kingdom from him as punishment for his misfeasance. “So why,” asked the Lord,  “are you grieving for him?”

No comments:

Post a Comment