BRAGADAYJAH 139

Monday, January 25, 2016

BRAGADAYJAH 856

BRAGADAYJAH 856
Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft

Not only does God not delight in the offerings of His disobedient children, as Samuel now tells Saul, “Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, (which God abhors), and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.” So then, “because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He has also rejected you from being king.” Now Saul said, “I have sinned; for I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord, and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice. Therefore, said Saul, I beseech you to pardon my sin and turn again with me that I may worship the Lord.” One cannot help wondering what the outcome would have been had Saul immediately confessed his faults, rather than blaming the people. Did he forget, was he not mindful of the fact, that God is the searcher of hearts?  And that God knew his words were not true? Characterizing rebellion as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness as idolatry and iniquity, God already knew Saul’s heart and He also heard all the lies he uttered in order to cover up his wrongdoing.  Even at the last Saul still made the lame excuse that he feared the people and obeyed their voice. But vox populi non est vox dei, (the voice of the people is not the voice of God) at least not in the theological realm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment