BRAGADAYJAH 139

Friday, November 1, 2013

BRAGADAYJAH 47

Truly God gave Abraham quite a big earful, and having told him all he was able to take in at that one time, God departed. And straight away Abraham circumcised his son Ishmael and all the males that were within his household, he circumcised them and Abraham himself being 99 years old was circumcised also. Shortly thereafter, God appeared unto Abraham as he sat at the door of his tent. Looking up Abraham saw three men whom he in fact recognized either intuitively or by the moving of the Spirit of God to be the very presence of God; for Abraham addressed them as my Lord. “My Lord,” Abraham said, “If now I have found favor in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee from thy servant. Let a little water, I pray you be fetched, and wash your feet and rest yourselves under the tree. And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts, after that you shall pass on; for therefore are ye come to thy servant.” God had appeared to Abraham many times before, and each time renewed the promise of an heir.; but Abraham had now been waiting for 22 years without obtaining the anticipated result, although just a short time before, God had given him even clearer and more specific promises, even to the naming of Isaac as heir; but here was God again now at his very doorstep. “Is there something more God wants of me?” Abraham must have question himself. So Abraham came up with something new. Perhaps, he thought, I have lacked good manners in the past. Perhaps I should have showed hospitality to my heavenly visitors. Perhaps, Abraham thought to himself, I am always looking to God for some blessing. But what have I given to God? Perhaps God is trying to give me a hint by this threefold theophany!” To his delight, his offer of hospitality was accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment