BRAGADAYJAH 139

Thursday, October 24, 2013

BRAGADAYJAH 39

Most Christians look back on Abraham and patronize him as a hero of faith. They call him father Abraham, and we sing about him as the father Abraham who had many sons. But Abram’s faith did not come at a single stride, nor did it come overnight. Abram’s faith was a journey in not only self-doubt but God-doubt. It was for a long time a work in progress. For it is true and always was true; “Heaven is not reached at a single bound.” As we have seen, Abram often had serious doubt as to whether indeed God would ever give him an heir before it was too late. After defeating the ten Kings, and meeting with Melchizedek, God again appeared unto Abram and told him in specific terms. “Abram, I am your shield and your exceeding great reward.” In reply, Abram said, “Yes Lord I hear you; I have been listening to all your promises; but yet I go childless. Am I to understand that the child of one of my servants, born in my house shall be my heir?” At this the Lord once more sought to reassure Abram by directing his attention towards the night sky and asked him whether he could number the stars. Of course Abram could not; and the Lord told him, “as numberless as they are, so shall your seed be.” Hearing this, Abram once again believes God. To be sure, he genuinely and earnestly believed God to the extent that God counted his belief as righteousness. Yet Abram asked God, “How shall I know that I shall inherit all your promises to me?” More

No comments:

Post a Comment